Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Long Way Down By Nick Hornby

The basic premise of A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby is  (and yes I do use stilted sentences in order to get the books title and author in here) four people have rather bad luck of their own making but fate has a part to play in it.  So far I've described about 99.99% of the world and stories huh?  Not quite sure how I missed this book before.  It's good.  It's old but it's good.  The people are in Britain which I don't always find particularly stimulating or interesting but this time it just added to the plot, I swear it did, if you've read this blog I don't blather on about things I don't think are true, I just blather on about true things.  So these four disparate souls end up contemplating suicide and through simple (OK, not so simple but not extraordinary) means the guide each other back to normalcy if not happiness.  Naturally they learn quite a bit along the way.  Although this book is entertaining I do recommend it for anyone who has ever been "down" or depressed. 
I'd give it a 7 or a B, actually if I could have 100 books on a desert island for entertainment this might be one.  BTW I got my copy @ a thrift store while I was doing laundry while away from home...Dispatch was in the motel room and I told the lady who ran the laundrymat/thrift store that I had to go back and check on my dog.  She told me if he was well behaved and small he could come back to the laundrymat with me.  I decided to take a chance on the well behaved and he was a charmer.  Loved on people who wanted loved on, looked @ the others like "whatzamatter, never seen a BEECHON before"?

No comments: