Friday, January 16, 2009

The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan

Ok, it's long, 600 pages I think. It's got strange names in it. But it's mesmerizing. It follows an Indian woman for 70 years, first as a young girl briefly, then married and bearing children to a strange Brahmin man, well he disappears with naked men with long hair into the forest and casts horoscopes, other than that he's perfectly normal. They have two children who seem to almost be good and evil, the plump golden daughter whom everyone is drawn to and the scrawny slightly misshapen son who seems to repel most. The husband dies soon after as he had predicted but had hired a servant who is of a lower caste whom you soon have deep sympathy and admiration for despite his peculiarities. The tale soon has you in it's spell from this point forward. I thought oh boy a story about a widow, just what I wanted to read about. Then it turns out she can't touch anyone during the daylight hours because of some caste rule, by this time I was glad she wasn't being burned alongside her husband. She continues on and while upholding archaic harmful caste rules she manages to do good in the world and not only raise her own children but her grandchildren also.
It's a long book, if you don't like to read it's probably not for you, you're not finishing it in one sitting. But I do know so much more about India and it's culture from this book than I did before and I ENJOYED learning it. A great read, it kept me interested up to the end without much sex or intrigue other than basic family happenings albeit they were in India and tied up with caste and exotic foods and musical instruments it's a tale that is set from the late 1800s to the mid 1900s but is timeless in it's entertainment and enlightenment value.
Amazon link here.

8 comments:

novice_blogger said...

Very well written blog!

TC said...

From you novice blogger that is very high praise indeed considering yours is such a great blog. Keep up the good work!

FREE ALL CARDS said...

This blog is very informative. Great insights!

Keep up the great work!
Freeallcards
www.freeallcards.com

TC said...

Thanks Free All Cards. I write about the 3 things I know about or think I do, books, animals and my views! LOL

Brad "geno" Gennaro said...

TC, Your blogs are all really really written! I ended up reading through them all and they are not really my topic of choice! Keep up the fine work!

~geno

The Drifter said...

Hello,

Thank You for the comment you left on my page. I am pleased that you liked this piece. This is very dear to me.

TC said...

Geno, THANK YOU, you don't know how much that means to me. My relatives and friends find me entertaining (sometimes) but the praise from a fellow blogger means so much. You have a great website, interesting topic too!

TC said...

Drifter, I did mean it. That is a piece that still is in my mind days later. You do have talent, like I said poetry and prose isn't my normal reading material but I liked that one.