Sunday, January 11, 2009

Alexandra Penney Among Madoff Victims

CNN Link here to story.

She wrote "How to Make Love to a Man", I must confess I haven't read it, not that I wouldn't I just haven't, thought it sort of came natural? Anyway that said she was editor of Self Magazine too, evidently she thought up the pink ribbon for breast cancer with a friend.

Not that I've ever been rich but the woman was slammed in a blog called "The Bag Lady Papers" on the dailybeast.com, ( she wrote how she might have to sell a cottage and had ridden the subway etc, link here) The readers who blasted her called her a privileged princess. The woman did earn her money and lost it. I know the feeling, I've gone from hosting dinners for 12 people @ decent restaurants to having to sell things in a matter of months after that, coming out on top again and being worried about making payments a few months after buying my first designer purse. That is the one and only designer purse I own and I'm still carrying thank you very much. People do seem to be nicer @ least to your face when you are poor, when you get a little sucess people tend to talk badly about you, but if you fall from being sucessful from bad planning or circumstances people tend to jump like a bunch of vultures. I could have told Ms Penny this. I do feel for her though especially since I am now employed @ Wal Mart! The same Wal Mart where I used to go drop $300 @ a time for groceries and truck supplies and whatever else struck my fancy, sometimes more than once a week, chicken feed to some but exhorbitant in the midwest in 2004. Now I don't make that much in a week. Does this bother me, not really, I'm less stressed, or was till I started working the clearance dept which is a new experiment in our Wal Mart. I'm making MUCH less than I was charging for hourly free lance work a few years ago and less than I was charging for writing web pages but if I can make grocery money or my car payment now @ least I'm helping my husband not die early of trying too hard to keep our heads above water. I hope Ms Penny realizes it's all OK and I do admire her for writing about it, wish I had invested in jewels though instead of computers and books or do I? Computers and books are mighty comforting.

No comments: